Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution is connected with storing and/or sharing certain content on a server run by a web hosting distributor. There are different classes of hosting services utilized for various goals, so let's have a glance at them. Doing so, you can conclude what you need, based on whether you wish to set up a website, email mailbox accounts, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution made available by given file storage providers, which allows you to share huge files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only purpose is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web files in your browser. Free file hosting solutions frequently include ads next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a certain period of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting corporations, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly wrong explanation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would split the workload between individual bunches of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various site hosting services (email, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is only a variety of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given vendors provide a hosting solution for images only. This hosting variant is good if you want to share a big quantity of pics with mates or acquaintances since the service is usually free of cost. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to managing your emails. Some suppliers provide website hosting solutions for web pages, but do not provide an email solution. If you wish to set up an email address with your domain name but do not wish to run a site, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can open email address accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video generates a certain amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and a few hundred site visitors, you may have a hard time with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will enable you to keep as many video files as you want to without bothering about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you desire to keep a site. To some extent, it embodies all of the aforesaid hosting categories since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and e-mails, upload video files, etc. At Get Hosted, for example, you can see web hosting and dedicated web server hosting accounts that enable you to have all of the aforesaid solutions in one single location. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting account may be better or worse juxtaposed to the normal email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are created for specific web content solely.